Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Thankful x 1000

It's amazing how much you can accomplish when you get up two hours before your kids!  Today is fall program registration, so I got up so I could be on the phone at 7am to get Nolan into his Sea Turtle swimming lessons.  Only 18 minutes on hold and I got our first choice.  Nice.  And yes it's nice that Nolan sleeps till 9; but the trade off is no more naps... So maybe I should get up earlier more often.  Maybe.

So today as I was reading my Bible (without interruption!) and writing in my journals, I reached 1000 things in my 'thankful journal' - only 4 years after I started, way back on a road trip to South Dakota.  I was reading a book that I don't even remember, but it was about happiness I think, and suggested writing down what you were grateful for.  I had a new notebook (I have a weakness for new notebooks), and I liked the idea, so I jotted down a handful of things every now and then as I thought about it.  Then I read Ann Voskamp's blog and book about being thankful, and now I'm working through 40 Days to a Joy Filled Life... so many different ways to convey the same message - being thankful is good for you in every way!

What are you thankful for today?  Do you write them down? 


2 comments:

Nicole said...

I started that after I read Ann Voscamps book but never continued. Thanx for the reminder. Think I will start again. Today I am thankful for rain. Seems like such a simple thing but really needed out here. Today we got a taste....along with some lightning which we rarely get that has started some fires because we haven't had any rain!!! What is 40 days to a joy filled life? I just bought(which I rarely do..library girl) Rhinestone Jesus. I am excited to start it. Check out her blog. It is pretty cool what they do by saying YES!!!

Carolyn Ward said...

Nicole - 40 Days is a book by Tommy Newberry. I read his book, The 4:8 Principle, a few months ago, and now I've got this 40 Days version that walks you through the same stuff in a daily read format. Lots of helpful reminders to healthy thinking.