Thursday, January 30, 2014

Homemade Playdough

I had made Nolan a batch of playdough the week before his party, and had the brilliant idea that I'd make more as the goodie bags, too.  It costs nothing, kids love it, and it's not something to clutter up the house or add sugar to the system.  That's a win in my books.

So I planned to make four batches, do each one a different color, then divide them so each child got some of each.  Trouble was I had a little helper, was a little distracted, read one of the amounts wrong... and ended up making four double batches.  It worked out being a nice amount, so a good little mistake.

Here are some shots of the process, and the recipe is at the end, if you want it.


It helps to have a little helper.

My original recipe from Mom...

...with a note added by my first playdough lover.

Stir it up.


Make sure you taste it!

Clean up time!

The finished product!

This recipe is the one in the cookbook my mom made for me when I moved out, with all the familiar recipes that she made when we were growing up.  After my own recipe binder, it's still the one I use the most often.

Playdough
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp oil
(1 tsp alum - optional)
a few drops of food colouring

Mix it all up, add more flour if it's too stick.  Store in the fridge.

1 comment:

Heather Vanderstelt said...

he looks like such a little man! Hope the playdough was enjoyed - I may keep that idea in my back pocket for future birthday parties!