Thursday, May 20, 2010

Kenyan Speed

This post was published yesterday on my other blog, the "churchy" blog.  I haven't posted much on there lately, but am starting to again, along with some of the others on our church staff.  We've got a new "staff blogs" button on the top menu bar if you want to check out the others.

I remembered something this week.  Something that's going to help me.

The weather warmed up, and I started wearing sandals again.  I haven't found any sandals that I like in the last few years that have a back-strap, so most of the ones I own now are slip-ons.  They never seem to stay on as well, but wearing them again made me remember being in Kenya.  While I was there, I wore a simple pair of flip-flops that I've had for ages (I bought them for Byron & Lori's wedding, actually) and found that I had no problem keeping them on.  The reason, I figured, was that we walked slower there.  Here, it seems I rush wherever I'm going - I have too much to get done to saunter along; don't want to waste my time.

But I also get headaches because I get tense in my shoulders and neck; I'm too focused on what I need to get done.  My rushing and busy-ness cause me stress and pain.  I need to slow down.  I need to recognize that my life is more important than the items on my to-do list.  They will wait for me.  They will get done.  And they will get done better, even if not sooner, if I am feeling better.  << sigh >>  This shouldn't be a hard lesson to learn, and yet, it's the one I'm facing again this week.  This season.  Patience.  Patience with others and with myself.  My God will be served much better when I slow down.

Every time I slip on my sandals, it will remind me.  Walk slower.  Be patient.

1 comment:

Heather Vanderstelt said...

How I agree!! I find myself rushing through the hospital where I work, almost running from one thing to the next... I could really use a slow down... especially now that it's so nice outside and the hospital grounds are so beautiful to spend time in. Thanks for the wonderful reminder and the walk down memory lane!