Saturday, May 08, 2010

the "later friday post"

Well I sure planned to come back and fill in the details...  Here is where we're at in our mainly uneventful lives.

November's sewer issues left us a mess in the front yard.  So far, since the snow has gone, we have watered and rototilled and watered the dirt mound in the front yard to help it settle and seeded the other side of the front yard.  In the back, we have seeded parts that were bad, dumped the nasty barrel planters that I've wanted to see gone for a decade, and started to pull apart the raised garden that grows better grass than the lawn.  It was a productive day today doing lots of that and ended with blizzards at DQ!

Soccer started this week.  Tuesday we met most of the players, handed out jerseys and schedules and played in the zero degree weather (and lost 5-1).  Thursdays game was cancelled because of the cold wet week and the state of the fields, and today's player's skill's clinic was postponed till next Saturday, when M is away and can't go.  I am already loving coaching with Sean, instead of by myself.

Oh, yeah, I was going to tell you about the 5 pairs of cleats: Madeline of course grew out of last year's soccer shoes, and we were running out of time to pick some up, so on Monday, I hit 3 stores and came home with 5 pairs that I thought would fit.  We did find the right ones and got the rest returned.  The reason I could pick shoes up for her?  (Other than the obvious, that I just got the right size number...)  I could TRY THEM ON for her.  Last year's pair that she grew out of?  Size 9.  Yes, my 10 year old wears size 10 women's shoes.  Same as I do.

Last weekend our church did something called Westhill Serves.  We had 12 service projects that 115 of our people got involved in, some even going to 2 or 3 events.  Not only did they jump at the opportunities to go and serve in the city (none were projects for our benefit; all were with community groups), but we had our people making new connections between them as they served together.  It was great, and if you'd like to do something like this at your church, give me a call and I'll let you know how we did it.

Girl Guides wrapped up this week; next weekend she is off to Moose Jaw for a camp.  There are supposed to be thousands of girls there for it, so watch the news for parade footage.  They've got a weekend camp in June, too.  That badge scarf of hers is getting pretty full!

I went to a digital media conference the day.  It was the pre-conference workshop of the Women Entrepreneurs of Saskatchewan conference, so geared to women in business, and full of information about helpful things.  Some tech stuff, some online tools, some 'how social media can work for you' info.  I'm glad I went, and I'll be processing some of that for a while, I'm sure.


And just for fun, here is the old cluster map that was on the side of the blog.  I've had it for a year, so they've rolled it over to a new one.  It is pretty cool to see where all my readers have come from.

Let the comments begin!  I will accept comments today about soccer or coaching or girl guides or yard work or digital media or where you would go if you could go anywhere in the world.

No comments: