Thursday, February 26, 2009

Thursday Morning

I put some water on to boil for tea this morning and noticed my plant:

leaning into the sunlight. This makes me smile, because that's just like me. I can't get enough sunlight, daylight, brightness. I said to Sean this morning that I wish we could go back to bed and stay there till spring. (That's called hibernating. Some animals do that, you know! Why don't we???)

It's also a spiritual parallel, as so much is in life. I want my life to be characterized by that same stretching out to the Son... Needing him and searching him out. That without God in my life, I'd wither up and die.

Tangent -What do we need in life? Sun and water and food and shelter?
Jesus said, "I am the light of the world." (John 8:12)
Jesus said, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but those who drink the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life." (John 4:13&14)
Jesus said, "I am the bread of life." (John 6:35)
And Psalm 91:1&2, "Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. They say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust.""
Yep - everything we need, he IS.

But back to my Thursday morning...
Since I had the camera out, I took a photo of this for you:

This green blanket is unbelievably soft, and huge enough to wrap up two people, including toes. We use this at least twice a day, after breakfast and after supper, to cuddle on the couch. Life is good when we're wrapped up in this.

And instead of working out this morning, I am doing homework. I tried to read at 10 last night and fell asleep countless times... but this morning I'm blazing through it. As blazing as you can get with this book:

I do have to read the whole book for class, but my assignment right now is to write a six page paper on the third chapter. Which is on the Third Quest. Which is "one particular type of contemporary Jesus-research, namely, that which regards Jesus as an eschatological prophet announcing the long -awaited kingdom, and which undertakes serious historiography around that point." Yeah. The whole book is written like that. The whole book is looking at the questions "who was he? what were his aims? why did he die?" I was unaware of all the scholarship and study on this in history - it's really quite fascinating to me reading this. For example, I thought that Jesus knew he was God. Didn't you? But many scholars don't. That doesn't mean they are right and we are wrong, but I'm open to reading what they thought Jesus knew about his purpose; his aims in his ministry. This chapter has 7 pages addressing the question - a huge chunk more is going to go to looking at answers.

So I took a break to talk to you, but now I'm going to plow through the next section then head to work. Have a great day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i always wondered at what age He became aware that He was the son of God.