Wednesday, May 08, 2013

What to do with Buttermilk

I made a batch of raisin bran muffins the other day, and the recipe called for buttermilk.  I had 1/2 the carton left over and figured I'd go online to find a recipe that called for buttermilk...  Before I got around to doing that, though, I was flipping through a magazine, and saw a recipe for buttermilk pancakes.  Perfect!  I made them up for Nolan and I for lunch and threw the rest in the freezer to enjoy for later breakfasts. 

 
I did see online that you can freeze buttermilk.  Use an ice cube tray to freeze 2 tablespoon portions, then throw them into a freezer bag.  This is great, because I rarely use the whole carton when I do get one, and then the rest doesn't go to waste, and I don't have to buy a whole new carton for another recipe.

The same article also had two loaf recipes that call for buttermilk... I don't need lots of baking around the house, so I'm looking for opportunities to try both of them, too!

No comments: