Tuesday, January 11, 2011

CORE

Once again as January rolled around I thought about a word for this year.  A word that I could keep in mind and refer back to, that would keep me focused on what I wanted to be / do / remember this year.

I thought about character, because I just read a great book on how to develop character in your family, and about each of the 10 elements the book had listed that were foundation blocks of character: respect, responsibility, empathy, courage, honesty, integrity, optimism, perseverance, initiative, and fairness.  I thought about strength and confidence. Fitness, faith, purpose, trust and enjoy all got some consideration.  I thought about curiosity, imagination, interaction, creativity.

What it came down to for me was understanding what I value.  This year I want to hold fast to what I value, to remain true to myself and who I am.  I chose the word CORE to remind me of all those things above.  What's at my core?  What I do in each situation is dependent on who I am and who I am choosing to be.

Do you choose a word for the year?  I'd love to know what you chose and why.

(Here's what I wrote about last year's word.)

No comments: