Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Inspiration

"Inspire" literally means to "breathe in."  It is about being filled with something from the outside that animates and enlivens us inside.  Just as oxygen vitalizes our bodies, inspiration enlivens our souls.  In the beginning, God breathed life into earth-matter and the first humans were created.  Today, we can breathe in the Spirit and be filled.  Body-soul inspiration ultimately comes from God.  The deepest and longest-lasting inspiration comes from breathing in God himself, and breathing in the new things that God is doing in us and around us.  - Sam Chaise

I've been thinking about inspiration lately.  Partly because the latest Mosaic magazine (Canadian Baptist Ministries) has on the cover, "What Inspires You?"  The quote above is from an article in it by CBM's General Secretary, and has stuck with me over the last weeks.


The other reason I've been thinking about inspiration is Pinterest.  I've told you a bit about this...  and after being on that site for a week or so now, I can say that it really is inspiring.  I've seen all kinds of beautiful and fun things that I want to do or re-create.  The problem becomes when browsing the site uses all the time you could be using for actually creating.  I saw this quote on there:

"Thank you Pinterest for helping me feel creative even though I've really just been sitting at my computer for the last 3 hours."

I have been inspired to go downstairs to the studio and play more, but it is a balance.  Doing takes more energy than thinking about doing.  Doing really is better than simply collecting inspiration.  Making memories, making crafts, making the effort to go out with people... those are the things that are long term inspiring, and the things that will inspire others.

Just a few thoughts.  What is inspiring you today?

1 comment:

Dori said...

It's funny that I forgot the literal meaning of inspire but last year I remember describing to someone how I stopped at an old church turned high end craft shop on the way back from Brandon (where I now sell my photos) just to be inspired and I made motions with my hands and that I was filling up with air. And then the opposite is true, sometimes I get so inspired I can't breathe! And yes, being inspired can only take you so far because not fullfilling those inspirations makes a person very frustrated!