Wednesday, August 31, 2011

School Lunches

Ah, school lunches...  No, I'm not strapped for ideas yet - it's only been two days!  I am always open to hear what others are packing, though, so if you want to leave a comment with your great ideas, we'd all love to hear it.

Or do you have guidelines you want to share?  I go with a main (often supper leftovers or a sandwich), fruit, vegetable, dairy (cheese string or yogurt), and usually one other (crackers, granola bar, rice krispy cake).  I don't often send a drink, because they've got a water fountain handy (she keeps a water bottle at school to fill up), but once in a while I'll throw in a juice box or a crystal light or iced tea infusion to add some variety.

Do you send notes?  I found some Printable Lunch Box Jokes you can send for a laugh.  A little note tucked in a lunch is a wonderful treat to add some encouragement and a reminder of you in the middle of the day.  One day this summer I was getting some food ready to take a lunch to work, and M packed it in my bag for me.  Imagine my huge smile when I reached for some food and pulled out a scrap of paper with a happy face and "I love you, Mom" on it.  It works both ways.

Happy lunching!

No comments: