Saturday, August 15, 2009

How many have you read?

My friend Deanna sent me a list of books on facebook, and I'd read 20 of the 100. I have a little brochure from the Regina Public Library - '100th Anniversary, 100 Books - RPL's Favorite Books of All Time!' and I've read 24 of those. So for your reading pleasure, I thought I'd compile those into what I've read, what I would like to read, and ones I might get to some day. Feel free to suggest some good authors or some good classics!

Books I've Read:
The Bible
Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis
The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy - JRR Tolkien
Jane Austen - Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Persuasion, Sense and Sensibility - I went through a Austin phase and read more than this I think. Mansfield Park?
Little Women - Louisa M Alcott
Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
The Karamazov Brothers - Fydor Dostoevsky
The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini - read this last week!
Anne of Green Gables Series - LM Montgomery
Little House of the Prairie Series - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Winnie the Pooh - AA Milne
Charlotte’s Web - EB White
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl - and Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator
Lots of Enid Blyton's kid's books
Lots of Gordon Korman's kid's books
Love You Forever - Robert Munsch
Life of Pi - Yann Martel
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
Lord of the Flies - William Golding
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Romeo and Juliet - William Shakespeare
Macbeth - William Shakespeare
Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier
Angela's Ashes - Frank McCourt
The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver
Roots - Alex Haley
The Clan of the Cave Bear - Jean M. Auel - this whole series
The Outsiders - S.E. Hinton
Exodus - Leon Uris & most of his other stuff
Scarlet Feather - Maeve Binchy & pretty much everything else she's written
Pretty much everything Dick Francis has written

Books I Think I've Read, but Maybe I Just Saw the Movie:

The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett
Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
Les Miserables - Victor Hugo - I saw it live in London... so good

Books I Would Like to Read:
Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte - and it has been sitting on my shelf for years
A Tale Of Two Cities - Charles Dickens - I read half of this for a book club I never went to. I should finish it.
More books by Jody Picoult - I just discovered her & think she's a great author.
The Red Tent - Anita Dianant

Books That Made the Lists, So They Might be Worth Getting Around to Someday:
The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas
Harry Potter series - JK Rowling - I've read a few of them.
Nineteen Eighty Four - George Orwell
Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger
The Time Traveler’s Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
Middlemarch - George Eliot
Gone With The Wind - Margaret Mitchell
The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald
Bleak House - Charles Dickens
War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky - this one is on my shelf
The Hunchback of Notre Dame - Victor Hugo - I own this one too
Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame
David Copperfield - Charles Dickens
Captain Corelli’s Mandolin - Louis De Bernieres
Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden
Animal Farm - George Orwell
The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
A Prayer for Owen Meaney - John Irving
The Handmaid’s Tale - Margaret Atwood
Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
Moby Dick - Herman Melville
Dracula - Bram Stoker
Ulysses - James Joyce
The Inferno – Dante
Swallows and Amazons - Arthur Ransome
A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens
A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry
The Little Prince - Antoine De Saint-Exupery
Watership Down - Richard Adams
Tess of the D’Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy
Catch 22 - Joseph Heller

2 comments:

Christine said...

Love it that you read! I'm reading A Fine Balance right now--couldn't put it down, and now it's lagging a little bit.

MOM said...

I've read many of these, but I think I will print out the list and keep it on hand for when I want inspiration. I often write down titles that I hear comments about on the radio - especially ones where the author has been interviewed. It gives an extra something to the book. I tend to read everything from an author that I like, too. If I don't keep track of which I've read, I forget if I've actually read it or just seen the title on the fly-leaf of other books too many times.