Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Homemade Christmas

Thought I'd share some of the gifts I made for Christmas and where I found the ideas... maybe you'll get inspired for next year!

I already mentioned Flubber...

For some of the nephews I also made Reindeer Food

Reindeer Food
6 cups Rice Chex cereal
1 bag (12 oz) white vanilla baking chips - couldn't find, used white chocolate 
1/3 cup coarsely chopped peppermint candy canes (14 miniatures)
1 - Crush candy canes in large ziplock bag
2 - Melt chips (plus 1/2 tsp oil) in microwave
3 - Stir all together

...and printed out some Paper Star Wars Characters for them to cut out, tape, and play with.  (Found here.)


I made my brother's kids this tent (following the instructions I found here):


I made some stuff in the kitchen for the siblings - cookies in a jar and popcorn seasoning.

Cheese Lovers Popcorn Seasoning
1/4 cup cheddar cheese powder
1/4 tsp mustard powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
salt & pepper to taste

Indian Popcorn Seasoning
1 tbsp curry powder
2 1/4 tsp ground tumeric
2 1/4 tsp ground ginger
tiny pinch cayenne pepper

Pizza Popcorn Seasoning
3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
3 tsp ground dried oregano
1 1/2 dried tomato powder
(The tomato powder is hard to find - I used a Knorr tomato vegetable soup mix and strained out the bits.)

I also made some family dinner conversation starter packages.  I found questions in a couple of different places, put them in a word doc that I'll send you if you're interested, then cut them into little cards and put them in decorated old coffee and tea tins.  I hope they have fun with those.

I also had fun making ornaments. I didn't take pictures of mine, but the inspiration came from these (all found on pinterest):




Another printable I sent to a couple of nieces was one to make this nativity set.  You can find the downloads here for both the colored and color-yourself versions.

I think that's all I made - oh, except for an awesome photo book for Sean about his race car.  That was a winner.  All in all a very satisfactory gift giving Christmas!

1 comment:

Heather Vanderstelt said...

I would love a copy of your conversation starters!! and I admire your creativity!