Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Overcompensating...

I was perhaps feeling a little guilty about how many sweets I consumed the other day, so yesterday I reminded myself of a few key things:
  • when you're snacky, try a glass of water first
  • eat at 6 SET times a day, don't graze all day long
  • try more veggies as snacks, and less baking.    
I did fine most of the day, I'm happy to report... and lunch turned out to be a veggie feast!  I was also trying to clear out leftovers from the fridge, and had a big package of fresh spinach that didn't get used in it's intended recipe, so this is what I made:


Mmmm... a yummy green smoothie!  It's the first time I've tried something like this, and was pleasantly surprised.  I used frozen mixed berries, thawed just a bit, strawberry yogurt, 2/3 of a banana (keeping the rest for N's lunch) and a whole bunch of spinach.  I used the 1/3 spinach, 2/3 other stuff ratio.  I blended it, then tasted it, and because I couldn't taste the spinach AT ALL, I added more.  Not because I wanted to taste it, but because if I couldn't taste it, I should add more for the healthy factor.  Then a touch of milk to get it to the perfect consistency and voila!  Paired with leftover carrot salad and leftover asparagus, it was a slightly veggie heavy meal.  And really tasty.



Of course N wanted to try - he liked the first taste, so I poured a little into a bowl and spoon fed it like soup to go along with his banana.

Speaking of healthy, I sent an extra snack in M's lunch because she had a basketball game after school; when I asked what she'd like, she requested a bran muffin.  Yep, this recipe's a keeper!  I had one at my friend Suzanne's last week, requested the recipe and made it the next day.  I copied it from her fb message and popped it into Plan to Eat, and recipes there come with a share on blog button... how handy!  So here it is, click, done!:


Print Recipe

Apple Bran Muffins

Source: Suzanne Beckel
Course: Snacks and Sandwiches
Serves: 12

Ingredients

  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 6 Tbsp margarine melted
  • 3 Tbsp molasses
  • 1 1/2 cups wheat bran
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup finely chopped peeled apple
  • 3/4 cup raisins

Directions

  1. Combine first five ingredients in a large bowl.
  2. Combine second five ingredients then stir into liquid ingredients. Mix well.
  3. Stir apples and raisins into other mixture.
  4. Spoon into 12 greased or lined muffin cups.
  5. Bake at 400 for 17-23 minutes or until set. Cool & enjoy!

Powered by
Plan To Eat
Add to Plan to Eat

No comments: