Saturday, August 31, 2013

Back to Books

I am not a very good book reviewer; I don't feel the need to analyze or rate one once I've finished, I just pick up the next one.  It's partly the reason I stopped keeping a log of what I was reading for you, and it gets me tongue tied at times at book club...

That said, I do find it helpful to come across lists of books that 'real people' have read and liked (as opposed to lists of prize winners - am I the only one who finds those ones often odd? - or lists by people I don't know).  So new to the blog this fall will be a monthly roundup of books that I've read that I would highly recommend.  Just like what I would be happy to stumble across.

And I'd be thrilled if you would leave a comment with your latest great reads so I have ideas to put on hold at the library for next month!

Here are my recommended reads from this summer:

Rules of Civility by Amor Towles.  "Set in New York City in 1938, Rules of Civility tells the story of a watershed year in the life of an uncompromising twenty-five-year-old named Katey Kontent. Armed with little more than a formidable intellect, a bracing wit, and her own brand of cool nerve, Katey embarks on a journey from a Wall Street secretarial pool through the upper echelons of New York society in search of a brighter future." (From the book's website.)


Divergent by Veronica Roth.  I read this one last year and liked it so it was my book club pick for the year.  It was our summer read, so the one we'll be discussing in September.  A young adult dystopian novel.

Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry.  One man's life story, deeply thoughtful on life in community and belonging and place, and progress / government / war.

The Secrets of Mary Bowser by Lois Leveen.  Based on a real person, a freed slave turned spy during the US Civil War. 

No comments: