Friday, September 11, 2009

Underwear?

We got a letter in the mail this week from Ghana - another letter from Salomey. It was a thank you for her birthday gift - she had requested that the money be spent on a backpack, sandals and underwear. Madeline looked at me with disbelief on her face - a girl exactly her age wanting UNDERWEAR for her birthday?

We had a good talk about the differences in how people live. I hope this relationship continues to shape how she understands the world. She lives a very privileged life, and I want her to understand that and translate it into "what can I do to help?"

As a side note, I am thrilled with how many letters we are getting from her - they are all written by a social worker, "Salomey says..." but we've had 4 just this summer. The ones from Mexico come twice or three times a year, so we were not expecting this at all.

No comments: